When installed and operating properly, security lighting like motion lights can add a great measure of safety and security to your Bethesda home. But these systems are not flawless, and they come with their fair share of frustrations and difficulties. Having issues with a motion light that stays on at all hours? The certified electricians at Kolb Electric have an answer!
Looking for a reliable electrician to perform an outdoor lighting installation for your home in Maryland? Contact Kolb today!
Why Won’t My Motion Light Shut Off?
The good news is there are only really a few potential causes for this, and many of your solutions are a fairly quick fix. There is an issue or two that might require a professional’s assistance, but we’ll get to that later. For now, your problems are most likely caused by:
- Sensitivity settings. Modern motion lights almost always have a sensitivity and range setting so that homeowners can customize appropriately. If your motion light is on at all times, there’s a good chance that the sensitivity setting is set too high. This means your light could be triggering by everything from tiny bugs, to cars in the distance, to heavy dust! Try turning down the settings on your motion light and do some testing to find out if this is your solution. There’s tons of deer around here, so be sure to check these settings with any security lighting in Bethesda.
- Duration settings. Another common setting, duration for motion lights can range from five minutes to up to half an hour or more. Be sure your duration isn’t set too high before you make a costly repair call!
- Jammed in a mode. Did you, by chance, accidentally flick off your motion light’s switch and then pop it back on? If the motion sensor was triggered during that brief period where the switch was off, your light fixture could very possibly simply be stuck in the auto-on mode. To fix this, cut power to the motion light altogether for a full ten seconds, and then restore power. If this was the problem, the light should simply behave as if it were tripped normally, coming back on and then shutting off after it has reached its normal on duration.
Problems that Require Professionals
If your outdoor lighting installation is still acting up, we’re sorry to say that there’s a good chance you’re dealing with damage that requires the help of a certified Bethesda electrician. Most likely what you have is a damaged motion light fixture. The damage can come from a few sources, one or two of which might sound familiar:
- Storm damage to the fixture itself
- Damage caused by a power surge in the home
- Cold weather damage or freezing
- Sheer age
- Improper installation
Superior Outdoor Lighting Installation in Maryland with Kolb Electric
If you’re having issues with your security lighting in Bethesda, you can always count on the experts at Kolb to get you the service and dependable solutions you need! Contact our team today to find out how a certified Kolb electrician can help you restore your security lighting, or if you want to learn more about our outdoor lighting installation services!