When installed and operating properly, security lighting like motion lights can add a great measure of safety and security to your Bethesda home. But these systems are not flawless, and they come with their fair share of frustrations and difficulties. Having issues with an outdoor motion light that stays on at all hours? The certified electricians at Kolb Electric have an answer!
Looking for a reliable electrician to perform an outdoor lighting installation for your home in Maryland? Contact Kolb Electric today!
Why Won’t My Motion Light Turn Off At My DC Home?
The good news is there are only a few potential causes for this, and many of the solutions are fairly quick fixes. There is an issue or two that might require a professional’s assistance, but we’ll get to that. For now, your problems are most likely caused by:
- Sensitivity settings. Modern motion lights almost always have a sensitivity and range setting so homeowners can customize appropriately. If your motion light is on at all times, there’s a good chance the sensitivity setting is too high. This means your light could be triggered by everything from tiny bugs to cars in the distance, or heavy dust! Try turning down the settings and do some testing to see if this is your solution. There are lots of deer around here, so be sure to check these settings with any security lighting in Bethesda.
- Duration settings. Another common setting, duration for motion lights can range from five minutes to as long as half an hour or more. Be sure your duration isn’t set too high before you make a repair call.
- Jammed in a mode. Did you, by chance, accidentally flick off your motion light’s switch and then pop it back on? If the motion sensor was triggered during that brief period where the switch was off, your light fixture could possibly be stuck in the auto-on mode. To fix this, cut power to the motion light altogether for a full 10 seconds, and then restore power. If this was the problem, the light should behave as if it were tripped normally, coming back on and then shutting off after it has reached its normal on duration.
- Override Function Engaged: Some motion sensors within the motion-detecting light have a built-in override function. If this override function is activated, the sensor light will stay on until the override function is deactivated. This override function can be activated on accident which can make it seem as if there is a faulty sensor. To turn off the override function, turn the light switch off and wait for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then turn the light back on again. This will hopefully reset the sensor so that it will function correctly once more. If doing that doesn’t disengage the override function, go to your switchboard and turn off the lighting circuits in the house and wait for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then turn it one again.
When To Call the Pros for Motion Light Issues In VA
If your outdoor lighting is still acting up, there’s a good chance you’re dealing with damage that requires the help of a certified Bethesda electrician. You most likely have a damaged motion light fixture. The damage can come from a few sources, one or two of which might sound familiar:
- Storm damage to the fixture itself
- Damage caused by a power surge in the home
- Cold weather damage or freezing
- Sheer age
- Improper installation
Superior Outdoor Lighting Installation in MD, VA & DC with Kolb Electric
If you’re having issues with your security lighting in Bethesda, you can always count on the experts at Kolb Electric to provide the service and dependable solutions you need!
Contact our team today to learn more about our outdoor lighting installation services or how we can help you restore your security lighting.