Your Generac generator may run fewer than 24 hours in a year, but they can be invaluable after a major storm that knocks out the power. Make sure your generator keeps you protected all year long by calling Kolb Electric for Generac generator maintenance! Kolb Electric is a licensed Generac generator dealer, and we can service your generator so it’s ready to go at a moment’s notice and will last until the power comes back on. Your generator should be inspected once a year to ensure proper operation, so if you want to keep the lights on when a summer or winter storm knocks them off, call Kolb Electric!
Generac Generator Maintenance Checklist
Because generators need to be at the ready 24/7, generator maintenance involves much more than just lubricating the moving parts and changing the oil filter. A full Generac generator inspection includes the following steps:
- Junction box wiring, connection, and circuit board inspection
- Oil and filter change
- Coolant temperature and contamination check
- Belt and hose inspection
- Radiator inspection
- Fan and fan guard inspection
- Block heater inspection
- Battery test and charge, or replacement if battery is more than two years old
- Battery charger test
- Generator and engine control test
- Remote start wire inspection
- Transfer switch control and failsafe test
- Air filter, oil filter, and fuel filter replacement
- Engine oil pressure and running temperature reading
- Generator voltage and frequency check
- Fuel levels and lines check
- Airflow and exhaust check
When we inspect your Generac generator, our electricians perform all these tasks and more. If you want your generator to run smoothly all year long, call us today!
At-Home Generac Generator Maintenance
In addition to annual professional Generac generator maintenance, there are a number of steps you should take on your own to ensure your generator is ready to cover your home during an emergency. These include:
- Weekly self-testing: Once a week, your Generac generator will run through an exercise cycle on its own. This routine may occur when you’re not around, but if you don’t think it is happening, call Kolb Electric! We can inspect your generator and ensure that everything is working properly.
- Gas line maintenance: Since your Generac generator is connected to your home’s natural gas line, it’s important that you keep on top of regular gas line maintenance — a disruption in your natural gas service could prevent your generator from working properly.
- Generator organization: Your generator needs to be able to take in air unobstructed in order to work properly, so make sure you keep the area around it neat and free of trees, shrubs, leaves, and debris.
If you’re planning on doing any digging in your backyard, be extremely careful that you don’t accidentally cut any lines going to your generator. Severing an underground electrical or gas line can cause your generator to fail and may cause personal injury.
Why Call Kolb Electric?
We are a family-owned and -operated business that has served the Baltimore and Washington, DC metropolitan areas since 1925. We are committed to providing superior electrical services for residential spaces, as well as industrial, commercial, and construction businesses. The valuable advantages we can offer you are great service, high-quality products, and experienced workers at a competitive price.
With six local offices, five bucket trucks, and one of the largest fleets in the Mid-Atlantic region, we are able to handle any size project.
Our services cover everything from new wiring to electrical maintenance and troubleshooting. No matter what your electrical needs are, we have the right solution, at the right price. Our electricians are fully licensed by state and local jurisdictions, ensuring that your electrical project will be installed to exact industry and code standards.
Our MD, DC, and VA electricians are:
- Courteous, professional, and punctual
- Knowledgeable and experienced
- Trained to handle any electrical issue or problem
- Accurate and efficient troubleshooters that can save you time and money
- Equipped with the latest diagnostic tools and parts
- Skilled in residential and commercial services
Still have questions? Check out our Residential Frequently Asked Questions Page for advice from our expert electricians!
We provide Generac generator maintenance in:
MARYLAND: Adamstown, Annapolis, Arnold, Ashton, Aspen Hill, Baltimore, Bel Air, Beltsville, Bethesda, Bowie, Catonsville, Chevy Chase, Clarksburg, Clarksville, Cockeysville, College Park, Columbia, Damascus, Dundalk, Elkridge, Ellicott City, Frederick, Gaithersburg, Glen Burnie, Hagerstown, Hampstead, Hyattsville, Ijamsville, Jessup, Kensington, La Plata, Lanham, Laurel, Laytonsville, Middletown, Montgomery Village, Mt. Airy, Myersville, New Market, Odenton, Olney, Pasadena, Potomac, Randallstown, Rockville, Sandy Spring, Severn, Silver Spring, Severn, Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Temple Hills, Timonium, Towson, Upper Marlboro, Waldorf, and Wheaton
VIRGINIA: Alexandria, Annandale, Arlington, Ashburn, Burke, Centreville, Chantilly, Crystal City, Dale City, Dulles, Fairfax, Falls Church, Fort Belvoir, Great Falls, Herndon, Leesburg, Lincoln, Lorton, Manassas, McLean, Oakton, Purcellville, Reston, Springfield, Stafford, Sterling, Vienna, and Woodbridge