Winter is well on its way in the DMV area. So are you prepared for the worst-case scenario of a power outage? If not—you could be facing cold days and nights without power in the event of a severe winter storm! That means now is the time to start prepping your generator to make sure you’re ready for when the worst happens. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
For generator maintenance, contact the experts at Kolb Electric today!
How to Prep Your Generator
With a few easy tips, you can make sure you have warmth and lighting all winter, regardless of the weather outside. For your generator, make sure you:
- Monitor fluid levels, including oil, fuel, and lubricants—especially after prolonged use.
- Visually inspect all fuel lines and connections for leaks, kinks, or loose connections.
- While it’s running, change the oil and filters after the first 8 hours of run time. After that, refer to your user’s manual for generator specifications.
- Keep the space around your generator clear of debris such as leaves and grass.
- Never put anything on top of your generator.
- Don’t wait for a power outage to find out if your generator still works! Make sure all indicator lights are functioning properly and that the system is going through weekly exercise tests.
- Test the generator every now and then to make sure it’s outputting the right voltage.
- Check for proper natural gas or propane pressure at the generator according to generator specifications
In addition to these checks you can do on your own, it’s important to have your standby generator inspected by an authorized sales and service dealer. Remember—many home and commercial generators have a limited warranty and require service from a licensed technician in order to make sure the warranty can be honored.
Contact Kolb Electric for Generator Tune-Ups and Maintenance
Kolb Electric is one of the largest Generac generator dealers in the Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC area. Need maintenance or a tune-up? Contact us today!