The average household in Virginia pays $125 per month for electricity, according to the U.S. Energy Information Association. In Maryland, that number is $136 per month and in DC, it’s around $90. For commercial properties, the figure is even higher. But at Kolb Electric, we know that there are simple steps you can take to lower your electric bill—and we’re going to share a few key tips.
How to Get a Lower Electrical Bill:
1. Check for gaps in windows and doors. Perhaps the easiest thing you can do to reduce your energy usage, and thus your electric bill, is to check your home at the beginning of each season for gaps around the windows and doors. It’s important to do this every six months or so, since your home can settle and shift slightly over time. It only takes a small gap for energy to escape.
2. Turn down your water heater. The standard setting on most electric water heaters is 140 degrees. Turning the heat down to 120 degrees can save you $60 or more each year in water heating costs. Save more by replacing your water tank with a tankless system.
3. Repair leaky ducts. If your ducts have holes in them or if they have come partially unattached, then you’re paying to cool and heat air that is never getting to your living spaces.
4. Have your HVAC and electrical systems serviced annually. Keeping all electrical systems, as well as HVAC products, well-maintained can not only extend their lifespans and help ensure your safety, but can save you money on your electric (and gas) bill too. Your system has to work harder and use more energy to push through an accumulation of dirt and debris. Regular electrical maintenance can also prevent the need for costly repairs.
5. Check your electric meter against your monthly statement. It’s a good idea to get in the habit of checking your electric usage on the meter and comparing it to your statement. This allows you to easily determine whether your monthly energy bill is accurate and provides you with the information you need to monitor your usage so you can use electricity smarter in the future. Click here to learn how to read an electric meter.
How Can Kolb Electric Help You with a Lower Electrical Bill in MD, VA, or DC?
At Kolb Electric, we don’t want you to pay any more than necessary for your electric usage. For more tips on how to reduce your electric bill and/or to schedule you annual service appointment today, call us at 877 287-1179. Our licensed electricians have been helping Mid-Atlantic homeowners with their electrical needs since 1925.