Live in the Baltimore, Bethesda, Alexandria, or Washington, DC area? The weather is getting warmer and summertime is fast approaching. It’s important to keep in mind that summer presents several possible electrical safety hazards that you may not be aware of. Our team of expert residential electricians has put together a list of summer electrical safety tips you and your family should remember. After all, we want you all to enjoy a safe summer.
Around the House Summer Electrical Safety Tips
- You and your family must remember this one very important electricity rule this summer: water and electricity do not mix well. They are deadly together. Remember these “inside the house” summer electrical safety tips that are based on this rule:
- Keep all electrical toys and appliances away from the water, including pools and bathtubs. Do not let your kids bring their handheld electronic games into the swimming pool this summer!
- Be absolutely sure every electrical connection going to your pool or hot tub is fully grounded. The residential electricians at Kolb Electric can provide pool and hot tub wiring to help keep you safe this summer.
- Make sure washers, dryers, air conditioners, refrigerators, and all other major appliances are plugged into grounded outlets. Never connect them to extension cords!
- Make sure your bathrooms, kitchen, garage, basement, and any other potentially “wet” rooms have GFI outlets installed.These outlets cut power to themselves when they sense electricity flowing improperly (such as in the presence of water) and can help save you from dangerous or deadly shocks.
- Never use frayed or visibly damaged cords.
Outdoor Summer Electrical Safety Tips
- Summer is definitely the time when everyone wants to be outside and enjoy some time in the sun. This makes it important that everyone knows what possible electrical safety hazards to avoid outdoors. These are important tips you and your family should keep in mind:
- Never approach an electrical substation or downed power lines for any reason whatsoever. If you see someone enter this area, do not try to rescue them yourself. Call 911 immediately.
- Never play near or touch a power line with any part of your body, a toy, a stick, or any other object. You should always assume that any power lines you see are live and dangerous.
- Never climb on or play around a utility pole.
- To avoid getting kites or airborne toys stuck in power lines, play with these toys in wide open spaces.
- Kids often love to climb trees in the summer, but they should never climb trees that are too close to power lines.
If you have any questions about our summer electrical safety tips, contact us online. Also, even simple jobs like installing light fixtures or ceiling fans may be dangerous—give us a call instead! We’re a family owned and operated business that has been serving the Baltimore, Bethesda, Alexandria, and Washington, DC metropolitan area since 1925. The valuable advantages we can offer you are great service, high quality products, and experienced workers at a competitive price.